The Love Story - The Final Word

Tower Bridge, London at Sunrise

THE FINAL WORD

Present: As I prepare for my return trip to London, I flick through upcoming walks on Meetup hoping I might join one during my stay, when I come across a picture of him from a recent event. A woman, his latest girlfriend I suspect, leans into him smiling contentedly. She seems happy. He looks mildly distressed and lost in contemplation. I suspect he needs to tell her something but he is too afraid.

He’s done it again.

The Parisian Doctor and I didn’t work out. We did go for lunch and it was all very exciting but I don’t think I was quite ready and there was that niggling feeling that I was being catfished.

After Paris, we met up a few more times for walks and drinks where he persistently asked me about “the Doctor”.  I wondered whether it was jealousy or zealousness to have me attached so that I might make a trajectory out of his orbit. I think the latter.

Sipping Pinot Grigio at Gordon’s wine bar near Charing Cross station one afternoon, he confessed that he was resolved to never have a great love again and that the one woman he could see himself in a relationship with was D with whom he had been friends for many years. She, of course, is completely unaware of how he feels.

If he was hoping for a bigger impact, he missed the mark. I see his revelation for what it is, the culmination of a string of behaviours over recent weeks attempting to push me away without having to say the actual words. The longer response times in messaging, the purposeful deterioration in his appearance, and then finally not including me in his birthday celebrations. I see it all yet feign ignorance, willing him to be courageous enough to say the actual words…he never does.

I tell him that we are all capable of another “great love” and that he should most certainly reveal his feelings to D. Until he does, he is lying to himself, to her and to any other woman he might ever be with.

He doesn’t respond.

A change of scenery and a new start beckon. I travel to Ardent in the French Alps where I will spend a remarkable few weeks of contemplation and growth and where I began to write this story.

I believe you meet people for a reason and this was never more apparent to me than here in Ardent where I met women who encouraged me to act in a way that would change my life forever.

These women helped reveal in me, the courage and strength that I hold within myself. They urged me to sever the relationship completely. Not just release my affection and love but a clean and brutal break. With a new sense of confidence and control, I write him a letter outlining my feelings. How I love him but that I am breaking away. I post the letter and email him to say it’s on the way then unfriend, unfollow and release him from all of my social accounts. One of us needed the courage to do it and in the end, it came down to me.

I have not heard from him since.

In this time apart, I have not missed him at all. I have not pined. I have not regretted this decision in the slightest. On the contrary, I’ve never felt so strong and innately happy in all my life. The woman who went into this relationship was naïve, gentle, loving, and excitable. Who came out was a strong, wise, confident woman knowing that she was capable of love but that did not have to lose herself within the relationship to hold onto it.

My remarkable journey takes me to some incredible places around Europe where the chance meeting of one person led to another person and another place. I am compelled to write about this revelatory journey in a travel journal style complete with my photography. Meanwhile, I’m heading back to my source of inspiration, to London, to write it. Wish me luck. N x


P.S.  I never did get the full $500 that I was owed. So much for always paying his debts.

P.S.S. As of this day, one of my sons and I are reunited. Sadly, the other two cannot seem to get past the pain and suffering they endured as children in our abusive household. Sometimes it initially seems easier to blame others for your pain, though, in the end, you are the only person who suffers. They will come to realise this in time. Until then, to my young adults, I love you. Mum x

 The End...

Read from the beginning here..

 

THE AUTHOR

Photo of Nina Beilby smiling
As it does, life took a devastating sideways turn for me. With fierce determination, I quit my teaching job, shut down my photography business, packed up my apartment, hired an agent and rented it out on Airbnb, bought a ticket to London and embarked on an adventure of discovery, both about the world and myself. I’ve learned a great deal about people, places and myself. I’m happy that you are here for the ride. Nina x


Where you can find my work...
I will be documenting my travels through photography on Facebook and Instagram. Prints will also be available on my website. If you are interested in following along, here are some of my sites.


An in-depth look at places I've visited with plenty of travel information from Ireland, France, UK, Iceland and who knows where next.  

Website MY CURIOUS CAMERA
Where you can purchase signed, framed limited edition prints of my work.

My professional work as a portrait photographer

Comments

Don't Miss A Thing...

* indicates required

Previous Posts

Beautiful Teen Girl Portrait- Funny Faces-Too Much Fun!

Cambodian kids bring tears of joy! - Our visit to a remote school in Thailand

Pet Photography - Product Photography

Top 5 Photo Tips for Lifestyle Bloggers

The Love Story Part 1 - A Chance Meeting.

Super Poor Asians - Trip down the Canals of Bangkok

The Love Story Part 11 - The Final Breakdown

Mum - its been two years now

SWIM SQUAD PHOTOGRAPHY & INDIVIDUAL PORTRAITS

The Love Story Part 7 - Our Adventure Begins